Purpose/Objective: Increase library membership and reading comprehension in students throughout Orange County. Preparing students for success in future educational endeavors by focusing on reading at a young age.
Key Responsibilities: Volunteers will register students for library cards and promote Mayor Buddy’s Book Club in 5th – 8th grade classrooms within Orange County.
- Reliable transportation
- Comfortable working with students 10-14 years old
- Strong communication skills
- 18 years of age or older
- Pass criminal background check
- Weekly sessions of two hours for a minimum of one semester:
- May – August,
- August – December
- January – May
Training/Support Provided: Volunteers will be provided with a comprehensive volunteer orientation and subsequent training through the Orange County Library system.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain valuable experience working with the Mayor Buddy’s Book Club.
- Increased awareness of the need for improved student literacy in Orange County.
- Impact their community and empower our youth with improved literacy skills.